Russia recently launched the world’s longest submarine called Belgorod. This special submarine is one of Russia’s most secret weapon carriers, which has been designed for carrying out different kind of missions.
The Belgorod is officially known as Project-09852 and is equipped to carry out underwater spy missions and to launch Poseidon nuclear torpedoes. It is neither an attack submarine nor a ballistic missile sub, but it will be a mothership to other undersea vessels.
Here are some of its incredible features:
- It is 184-meter (604 feet) long, double the size of a normal submarine.
- 14,700-ton Belgorod is a nuclear-powered submarine.
- Belgorod can dive to around 1,700 feet and it is guided by artificial intelligence.
- Submarine is capable of carrying six thermonuclear warheads
- It will be the carrier of rescue deep-water and autonomous underwater drones.
- These drones are capable of carrying nuclear warheads weighing up to two megatons and their operational depth is over 3,000 feet.
- These Poseidon drones can hit coastal targets 6,000 miles away
- The Poseidon can target coastal areas with a heavy nuclear weapon, causing a devastating tsunami wave.