In August, the Erzberg Rodeo, aka Erzbergrodeo, one of the world’s greatest motorcycle events, was held in Erzberg, Austria. It turned into a Who’s Who of off road motorcycle racing talent as riders from Enduro, Motocross, Trials and Rallye Sports, 1,500 in all, participated. The event was organized and promoted by Karl Katoch and motocross legend Heinz Kinigadner and finished with the Red Bull Hare Scramble made up of the fastest 500 out of 1,500 riders.
In short, this Erzbergrodeo is simply madness. Four days of events include the Iron Road Prolog, the Rocket Ride Uphill Race, the Ride Over Erzberg and the Red Bull Hare Scramble, among other events. It has been run each year for the past 20 years and is part of the Xtreme Enduro off-road motorcycle event series.
Typical results for a significant number of participants include bent and chipped frames, rims, and wheels, all due to the significant abuse they undergo traveling over sharp rocks and climbing steep rocky terrain. And then there were injuries to riders and a fan was clipped by a motorcycle while trying to cross the course in the middle of a race.
Fortunately, the final race, which lasted one hour and 39 minutes, was captured by a GoPro HD camera provided by racing sponsor Red Bull. The following video is from the bike of the eventually winner, Jonny Walker of the UK, who finished with a time of 98 minutes.
Related aricles on IndustryTap:
- Regio Design XXL Chopper is the World’s Largest Motorcycle
- The Kawasaki Ninja H2R: A Bike Beyond Belief & The Most Powerful Motorcycle Ever Produced
- Keanu Reeves’ Arch Motorcycle Company Releases Its First Bike
References and related content:
- [ENDURO] Erzberg Rodeo Hard Race [Goodspeed] – Vidéo Dailymotion
- Erzbergrodeo 2013 | Red Bull Motorsports
- Erzberg Rodeo Roundup, Broken Bones, Second Moto Regrets, GNCC Action, and Much More! – The Weekly Dirt: June 11, 2014 – Dirt Rider Magazine