Russia has built a terrifying new hypersonic stealth bomber that can launch nuclear attacks from space. Flying at five times the speed of sound, this deadly craft will be able to travel anywhere in the world in just two hours.
Colonel Alexei Solodovnikov, who is working on the project said, “This will be a strategic aircraft. It will fly into outer space in order to strike, using nuclear bombs, and then return to the airfield.”
Here are some of its features:
- The hypersonic strategic bomber will have a special hybrid turbofan engine making it competent for low-level space flight.
- A revolutionary engine will enable the aircraft to take off from the runway and accelerate to a speed of over five times the speed of sound.
- The new engine creates its own liquid oxygen by cooling air entering the engine. It can cool the air to minus 150°C from 1,000°C in a fraction of a second.
- The engine for this craft has already been tested, and the test model of the craft known as PAK-DA could fly in 2020.
- This craft will be efficient to travel anywhere on the globe within two hours while carrying a deadly nuclear payload.
- When the bomber flies inside the earth’s atmosphere, it will burn traditional kerosene fuel. However, the moment it enters space, the engine switches to methane and oxygen, allowing it to fly without air.
- The PAK-DA strategic bomber will be invisible to radar.
Colonel-General Sergei Karakayev, commander of Russian Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN), said, “An engine for a promising space plane has been developed at Strategic Rocket Forces Academy. The unit’s operational ability has been proven. The idea is that the bomber will take off from a normal home airfield to patrol Russian airspace. Upon command it will ascend into outer space, strike a target with nuclear warheads and then return to its home base.”