In 2011, Jann Mardenborough of the UK became the world’s best Gran Turismo player in a competition sponsored by the Nissan PlayStation Gran Turismo (GT) Academy.
Now, Mardenborough is living his dream. He is a member of the British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC), one of the world’s most exclusive motorsport organizations, has graduated from the GT academy and has won a GP3 race in his first season. The GP3 Series is designed as a training ground for young drivers aspiring to become professional drivers.
In the past three years, Mardenborough has learned real-world racing techniques and preparation, including how to deal with expensive top-of-the-line equipment and the strenuous physical demand race drivers experience.
Real Life Racing Not That Different from Gran Turismo
According to Mardenborough, “If you had no experience at all at driving anything in real life, and you had a pedal setup in a rig and had Gran Turismo 6, you could jump from that into a real car, and drive it very near the limit or on the limit.”
Mardenborough and others like him have inspired the gaming and motorsports world, giving anyone capable of high performance in a video game a new route to becoming a professional, real-world driver.
Related IndustryTap articles:
- Race Car Drivers Rev Up F1 Simulators to Prepare for World’s Top Racing Events
- Paralyzed Race car Driver Will Use Head Movements to Drive at Indy 500
- Formula 1 Driver Cruises the Las Vegas Strip in a New Formula E Race Car
- Nissan’s Electric Race Car To Hit Speeds Over 180 MPH
- Nano-Enhanced Carbon Fiber Wheels Bring Victory In World’s Toughest Downhill Race
- Apple’s CarPlay Revs Up the Auto Industry’s Race to Turn Your Car into a Phone Accessory
- Google and Apple Race to Build Smart Dashboards for Your Car
- Nissan Makes Dream Version of Gran Turismo 6 Car a Reality
- Tomorrow’s Electric Cars Being Turned into Rolling Computers
- Jacuzzi-Car Engineers Driven to Set a 100 MPH Hot Tub on Wheels Record
References and related links:
- Jann Mardenborough joins Carlin’s four-strong European F3 line-up – F3 news – AUTOSPORT.com
- GT Academy Graduate Jann Mardenborough Wins GP3 Race at German Grand Prix – NEWS – gran-turismo.com
- Jann Mardenborough signs up to race GP3 for 2014 – Telegraph