With the successful launch and splashdown yesterday of the Orion Spacecraft, the first step toward an eventual trip to Mars, a new space age has begun filled with hope and promise and so it is fitting to take a peak into what may lie ahead.
A Short Science Fiction Film
The quote in the title is from Herman Melville who wrote in Moby Dick about wanderers with an interest in undiscovered lands and new worlds and an attraction to “sailing in forbidden seas.”
The accompanying video “Wanderers, A Galactic Tour” is narrated by the late Carl Sagan, one of history’s greatest astrophysicists and futurists. The short movie shows what future of space exploration and the discovery of new worlds might look like. It includes a number of interesting spaceship designs, asteroids, planets, flying humans and more.
The audio track is originally from Sagan’s famous “Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space” documentary with new graphics created by noted digital artist Erik Wernquist based on our solar system.
According to Wernquist excerpts were taken from Pale Blue Dot’s “Wanderers” chapter. He edited together the audio from the audio-book, and added the video from:
- Carl Sagan’s Cosmos
- BBC’s Wonders of the Solar System with Brian Cox
- BBC’s Walking with Cavemen
- Discovery’s Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking
- Discovery’s Super Structures
- History’s Failure is not an Option
- Schindler’s List (film)
- Select pictures from Boston.com’s The Big Picture
- The music is derived from three songs on the Lost soundtrack: Hollywood and Vines, Locke’d Out Again, and Oceanic 815.
According to Wernquist, Wanderers is Part III or his 3 part tribute to Carl Sagan. The other two are:
- Part 1: A Universe Not Made For Us http://videosift.com/video/Carl-Sagan-A-Universe-Not-Made-For-Us
- Part 2: Consider Again That Pale Blue Dot http://videosift.com/video/Carl-Sagan-Consider-Again-That-Pale-Blue-Dot
Again, here is Part I:
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- The Deep Space Exploration Plan: Exploring The Cosmic Ocean
- SpaceX Pushing The Limits For Private Space Exploration
- Microwave Thrusters To Revolutionize Space Travel
- Most Impoverished City In America To House SpaceX’s Commercial Launch Facility
- Rosetta Spacecraft Is Orbiting a Comet! Becomes First To Ever Do It…
- Eurobot Rover Driven On Earth By Astronaut 250 Miles Above It, On The International Space Station!
- United Arab Emirates Sending Uncrewed Spaceship to Mars by 2021
- Watch This Robot Repair Itself in Outer Space
- NASA Space Rover Being Tested Under Alaskan Ice
- Will the MX-1 Lunar Lander Win the New Space Race Worth $30 Million?
References and related links:
- Watch Carl Sagan’s Vision of Human Space Exploration Come to Life – Popular Mechanics
- VIDEO | Wanderers | SpaceNews.com
- The Carl Sagan Narrated Short Film “Wanderers” A New High Standard from Erik Wernquist | Optimal Human Modulation