Around one-fifth of the world’s population has no access to electricity. Most of these people have to rely on dangerous and expensive kerosene lamps to bring minimal lighting services in their homes. These kerosene lamps contribute to indoor pollution and are bad for the environment and human health as well.
To solve this problem, an engineering start-up called SALt(Sustainable Alternative Lighting) has developed a sustainable lamp that is powered by tap water and table salt! Here are some of its features:
- This amazing lamp gives eight hours running time using only a glass of water and two teaspoons of salt.
- This device will not only light up the room but will also be able to generate enough energy to charge a smartphone via the USB port.
- The science behind this amazing lamp is the same as that behind the Galvanic cell, which is the basis for batteries.
- It is healthier for people as it does not emit harmful gases, and it’s very environmentally friendly.
- It is safe for people, as there is no risk of fire accidents from tipped over lamps.
- This lamp can be very helpful during disaster situations such as typhoons, earthquakes, etc.
- The lamp is best suited for coastal communities because there is no need to create your saline solution. You can use ocean water to operate your lamp.