Billionaire and inventor Elon Musk announced last week his plan to build a 5-mile hyperloop test track that will propel humans at a speed of 700 mph (1,126 kmh) across the flat plains of Texas in an attempt to prove his concept of ultra-fast transportation. The fastest train in the world is currently the Shanghai Maglev, which travels at a speed of 267 mph (430 kph).
Musk is taking an “open source” approach to the hyperloop idea and is encouraging companies and students to get involved in bringing the next generation of transportation technology to life. If Musk’s system becomes a reality, 400 mile trips will take just half an hour.
Related aricles on IndustryTap:
IndustryTap has written extensively on Elon Musk, his companies and activities. Here are some of the articles we’ve written:
- If You Ask Elon Musk… Artificial Intelligence Can Certainly Take Over Humans One Day
- Elon Musk Shows Off SpaceX’s New X-Wings & Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ships
- Elon Musk Looking To Launch 700 Global Internet Satellites As His Next Venture?
- Elon Musk Announces a Leasing Policy For The New Tesla Model S
- Elon Musk Says Next Year’s Tesla Cars Will Be Capable of Driving Themselves 90% of the Time
- Finally! Elon Musk Shows Off The Brand New Tesla D…
- Elon Musk’s Ambitious Space Taxi Hits Legal Snag…
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX is Raising Money at a $10 Billion Valuation
- New Tesla Museum Gets $1 Million Donation from Elon Musk
- Elon Musk Plans to Colonize Mars! Potentiometers Key to Life Support.
- Elon Musk Wants to Build Massive Solar Panel Production Plant in the U.S.
- It’s Here! The Brand New Private “Space Taxi” Capsule From Elon Musk & SpaceX!
- Tesla Dangers Extinguished! Elon Musk Released Awesome GIFs of Tesla’s New Model S Shield
- Will Elon Musk’s Hyperloop Dream Go Down the Tubes?
- Elon Musk’s Low Energy Hyperloop Project Concept Ready For San Francisco, Los Angeles Corridor
- Profile: Billionaire Entrepreneur Elon Musk: “I would like to die on Mars, not just on Impact”
- Risks of Artificial Intelligence & the Future of Life
- Miami Science Museum Completes Unusual “Martini Glass” Aquarium Concrete Pour
References and related content:
- Elon Musk to build Hyperloop test track – fastFT: Market-moving news and views, 24 hours a day – FT.com
- Geekend: Elon Musk’s Hyperloop Pod Racing – InformationWeek
- Test Track Project Could Be Coming to Texas | KTRH