IndustryTap has reported that DNA is the Next Big Storage Technology in which 100 million hours of high definition video could be stored in a coffee cup of DNA and now DNA-Based Electrical Circuits are under development.
With respect to computer speed, scientists have long been pushing the boundaries of microelectronics, reducing the distance between transistors.
At the same time, scientists have been using molecular electronics to build and fabricate electronic components and electrical circuits with molecules as basic building blocks. But this approach has been wrought with complications and few breakthroughs.
Recently, scientists have turned to DNA molecules, pre-designed by nature to self assemble into miniature circuits.
DNA Based Programmable Circuits
Researchers at Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel, led by Professor of Molecular Biomedicine Danny Porath, have created what they refer to as a “DNA wires” that allow the flow of electricity through molecules of DNA strands. According to Porath, the breakthrough could “allow implementation of DNA-based programmable circuits for molecular electronics, leading to a new generation of computer circuits that can be more sophisticated, cheaper and simpler to make.”
In a paper published in Nature Nanotechnology this week, DNA and DNA based polymers provide versatile and programmable structures. The following video shows Danny Porath talking in general about his work:
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- Serious USB Security Flaw Can Take Over Your Computer
- Google Hires Team of Experts to Build a Quantum Computer
- Tomorrow’s Electric Cars Being Turned into Rolling Computers
- Best In-Vehicle Computers Deliver High-Tech Experience to Trucks, Buses & Trains
- HP Unveils Its Breakthrough Computer Project, “The Machine”…
- Monster Shredding Machine Eats Everything from Computers to Refrigerators
- NASA Releases Computer Codes for Over 1,000 Programs to the Public
- Carbon Nanotube Heat Sink Could Turbo Boost Your Computer with 6X Less Heat
- Eye-Controlled Computers Make Double Clicking Obsolete
References and related links:
- Molecules as circuits? Miniaturization of electronic devices — ScienceDaily
- Researchers Develop DNA Based Programmable Computer Circuits
- Physics News :: DNA Can Carry Current, a Promising Step Toward Molecular Electronics