IndustryTap has frequently reported on Caterpillar, for example, “Caterpillar, Inc. The World’s Leading Industrial Bellwether.” Today, we take a look at the Caterpillar 797F, the world’s largest mechanically-driven dump truck. We have reported on the Belaz 75710 from Belarus, which is driven by computers rather than humans, and we compare the specs of the two at the end of this article.
The following video shows the 797F inside a hangar-like facility where the trucks are parked and serviced:
Oversize transportation is typically done via roads, oceans, rivers, and rail, and typically involves equipment exceeding several hundred tons. In the case of the 797F, a specially designed platform with just 45 cm clearance from the ground is used. Oversized transports require specially trained staff who understand loading and unloading processes.
Oversize transports are regularly used in agriculture, construction, power plants, hydropower, and more. The following video shows the Caterpillar 797F being transported on the back of a specially designed tractor-like rig that is built much more ruggedly and has many more tires.
A Comparison: Belaz 75710 vs. Caterpillar 797F
The Belaz 75710 has a payload capacity of 496 tons, is 67.58 feet (20.6 m) long, 26.77 feet (8.16 m) high and 32.15 feet (9.8 m) wide. The truck uses eight large Michelin tubeless pneumatic tires, and two 16 cylinder turbocharged diesel engines, each with a power output of 2,300 hp and a top speed is 40 mph ( 64 km/h).
The Caterpillar 797F has a payload capacity of 400 tons, is 48.55 feet (14.8 m) long, 21.39 feet (6.52 m) high and 31.98 feet (9.75 m) wide. The truck uses six Michelin XDR or Bridgestone VRDP radial tires, and Cat C175-20 four-stroke turbocharged diesel engines with an overall power output of 1,600 hp and a top speed of 42 mph (68 km/h).
For more information and detailed specs see the 797F brochure.
Related aricles on IndustryTap:
- Caterpillar Executives Release 10-Minute YouTube Video After Big Third Quarter
- Caterpillar Sales Keep Dipping, Specifically In Its Asia/Pacific Segment
- Big Buyback For Caterpillar? Company Exceeds Earnings Expectations…
References and related content:
- The Largest Bulldozer, Scraper, Dump Truck, and Grader
- Largest Dump Truck In The World Using Hardox – Belaz 75710 on Vimeo
- The Largest Dump Truck in the World The Largest Dump Truck in the World Biggest dumptruck in the world Caterpillar 797F Police chase huge dump truck Belaz 75710 . The biggest dump truck in the World worlds biggest dumptruck