Green Air Conditioning Technology
Taipei 101 is the world’s third tallest green building at 1,667 feet (508m). It has received two special sustainability awards: “World’s Tallest Green Building” and LEED certification in Platinum, titles it still holds today.
The building houses 11,000 workers and ice is produced from within to keep them cool during hot and humid Taipei summers. Taipei 101 uses two dozen giant refrigerators to cool down the building. The novel method of cooling the building saves its operators €540,000 a year.
Another green highlight is the building’s roof and façade water recycling system that meets 20 to 30% of the building’s water needs.
Siemens Taiwan designed the cooling and recycling systems, along with partners EcoTech International and Steven Leach Associates. Making the building more profitable required a new approach to energy savings in an environment where energy prices are climbing.
Just $1.8 Million In Green Investments to Save $20 Million Per Year
In addition to the technological innovation in Taipei 101, the regulatory framework in Taiwan has served as an impetus to new approaches to cooling and energy-savings. For Siemens and its partners, Taiwan is a huge untapped market with significantly more business available on the Chinese mainland.
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- Algae-Powered Building Redefines Going Green
- Tough as Steel, Prolific as Grass: Bamboo, Boron, and a Building Ethic For The Future
- Noise Violation Inspires Brooklyn’s Barclays Center to Sprout a Sound-Muffling “Green Roof”
- Taiwan High Speed Rail’s Hsin Chu Station Mall Set to Become a Green Icon
- Massive Solar Tower to Become the World’s Second-Tallest Building
- Sky-High “Vertical Forest” Takes Green Living to New Heights
- Building Automation & Controls Market to Reach $50 billion by 2018
- IndustryTap Megatrends – March 2013
- Farming on the High Rise
References and related links:
- Worlds Tallest Green Building – The Jakarta Globe
- 21st Century Architecture: Earth’s tallest green building: LEED-certified Taipei 101
- TALLEST GREEN BUILDING