Virgin Galactic, the space-tourism company is developing a high-speed commercial aircraft capable of flying at Mach 3, or three times the speed of sound.
Recently Virgin Galactic unveiled the design for an upcoming supersonic jet. It could bring about change in the way we travel…allowing flying from New York to London in 90 minutes.
George Whitesides, chief space officer, Virgin Galactic said, “We are excited to complete the Mission Concept Review and unveil this initial design concept of a high-speed aircraft, which we envision as blending safe and reliable commercial travel with unrivaled customer experience.”
Following are some of the features of the plane:
- Aerospace brand Virgin Galactic would be able to carry up to 19 passengers.
- It would be able to fly at an altitude above 60,000 feet (18,300 meters).
- Featuring triangular delta wings, the aircraft would be capable of travelling at the speed of 3704 Km/hr.
- Virgin Galactic has partnered with aviation engineer Rolls-Royce to develop the engine propulsion technology.
- The propulsion system is more environmentally friendly than existing jet engines.
- Virgin Galactic unveils cabin interior, designed to address customer needs, including business or first-class seating arrangements.
- It is going to be even faster than the Concorde, which hit a top speed just over Mach 2
The brand said, “The design philosophy of the aircraft is geared around making high speed travel practical, sustainable, safe and reliable while making customer experience a top priority,”
“The aircraft would take off and land like any other passenger aircraft and be expected to integrate into existing airport infrastructure and international airspace around the world.”