Divest-Invest Movement Has Green Projects Picking Up Steam
According to recent reports, the trend toward fossil fuel energy divestment, or “divest-invest,” continues picking up stream. In short, investors are beginning to take advantage of what some are calling a “trillion dollar opportunity.”
One instance reported by IndustryTap was the Rockefeller Foundation’s divestment of all fossil fuel stocks in its charitable accounts last year. The recent Paris Agreement among other things, put climate finance at center stage and new “carrot & stick” regulations and policies are jump-starting renewable energy progress.
According to the Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21), investment in renewable energy products is continuing its upward trend as total global new investments in renewable power and fuels in developed, emerging, and developing countries reached $286 billion in 2015. But if the investment in clean energy is to reach levels that will keep global temperature rise at less than 2°F, money will need to flow from the world’s bloated military budgets into green technologies.
- “REN21 Interactive Map” that provides data including renewable energy targets by country, fiscal incentives offered by governments, regulatory policies with respect to renewable energy, and public financing opportunities.
- Regional reports
- Global future reports
- Renewables Academy
- International Renewable Energy Conferences (IRECS)
The reports take a close look at power sectors including wind and solar, heating and cooling sectors, transportation sectors, and regional and global policy landscapes, as well as different types of energy and markets including:
- biomass energy
- geothermal power and heat
- ocean energy
- solar PV
- concentrated solar thermal power (CSP)
- solar thermal heating and cooling
- wind power
- distributed renewable energy for energy access
- investment flows
- energy efficiency
Following is a link to the Renewables 2016 Global Status Report which is 32 pages long.
Following is a compilation of future green projects that were top picks for 2016.
IndustryTap has reported on the following concepts and keywords in past articles or will write about these topics in future articles:
- New Clean Renewable Energy Bonds,
- What is a Green Bond,
- Green Bonds in United States,
- Clean Renewable Energy Bonds 2016,
- Clean Renewable Energy Bonds,
- Clean Energy Renewable Bonds,
- Energy Bond Fund