IndustryTap has written a number of articles on superyachts (see list below) that cost from $300 to $500 million. But we’ve never seen superyachts with private IMAX theaters.
Superyachts are getting bigger with the largest nearly 600 feet (180m) long. Owners want their superyachts to boast luxuries like multiple helicopter pads, discos, piano bars, wine cellars, and all kinds of defensive capabilities, from bulletproof windows and Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) proof hulls to machine gun turrets and more.
Superyacht Owners Want Vertiginous Viewing Experience
A company called Yacht Intelligence (YI), a leader in supplying custom audiovisual and control solutions to super yacht owners, has partnered with Genesis Technologies, a distributor of IMAX private theaters. YI & IMAX have developed a fully immersive cinematic experience for Ken Freivokh Design of the UK. The theater will be part of a new 500 ft (150 m) superyacht scheduled for delivery in 2015.
The following image shows the IMAX theater with a 22 seat capacity.
IMAX Private Theater Technology
IMAX Private Theaters are now being installed in yachts 328 feet (100 m) and up. This is part of a trend of the use of IMAX technology in high-end homes where screens are typically 20 feet (6 m) wide. One problem with IMAX movies is they must be downloaded hours ahead of the scheduled viewing time, typically overnight, in order to be ready for play.
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- Tropical Paradise Super Yacht Comes with Its Own Volcano
- LEGOs Inspire a 5,600 Square Foot Glass Superyacht
- World’s Largest Superyacht Comes with a Bullet Proof Master Suite & Missile Defense System
- High Performance 200 Million Dollar Eco-Friendly Superyachts
- China’s ‘Illusion’ Mega-Yacht Is The Biggest The Country Has Ever Seen… Take a Look Inside!
- Super Luxury Trimaran Fleet to Set Sail with Flagship 262 Ft. “Dragonship 80″
- “Full Speed Ahead” For Global Electric and Hybrid Marine Businesses
References and related links:
- New 50m long range displacement yacht design by Acico Yachts and Sea Level Yacht Design — Luxury Yacht Charter & Superyacht News
- IMAX aboard a superyacht? – Superyacht World | Superyacht World