SheerWind, a wind power company from Minnesota, USA, has made an innovative wind turbine called INVELOX that is very efficient and safe for wildlife. The company claims its ground-based turbine is capable of producing 600% more power than conventional wind turbines.
How it works:
The INVELOX system uses funnels to channel wind to a ground-based turbine. Rather than grasping bits of energy from the wind as it passes through the blades of a rotor, the wind is funneled through a tapering passageway that naturally accelerates wind flow. The resulting kinetic energy then drives a generator on the ground level.
The company claims the INVELOX turbine’s efficiency, cost effectiveness and environmental friendliness features significantly outperform the traditional turbines and make it competitive with natural gas and hydroelectric generation.
- The INVELOX wind turbine can operate at wind speeds as low as 1 mile per hour and has generated a record high energy production capacity of 72%.
- This turbine could reduce installation capital costs to less than $750 per KW and once up and running, it costs less than 1 cent per KWH
- It reduces the operating cost by 50% of current wind turbine technology
- Because of the smaller physical size, it produces less noise and fewer birds are killed.
- The system can be put in place and run without government subsidies and still be profitable.
With those kinds of claims, INVELOX could be a true game changer in electric power generation.