“Big Daddy” Don Garlits, who many refer to as the father of drag racing, was the first man to ever break 200 mph in a dragster. But that was about 40 years ago.
Now, Garlits wants to break 200 mph in an electric dragster called the Swamp Rat 37, a feat that if successful would shatter the current record by approximately 41 mph.
Swamp Rat 37 Features:
- Lithium-polymer battery (4 packs) – two on each side of the vehicle
- 300 lithium polymer cells in each pack (1,200 cells total)
- Max 420V with a current of 3,600 amps
- Six 7.5-inch series-wound DC motors from GE
- 1,500 kilowats = about 2,000 horsepower
- Chassis made of 4130 chromoly tubing
- 265-inch wheelbase
- Aluminum alloy body
2012 Test Launch: