Large companies with deep pockets and significant expenses to control are able to try new technologies that have the potential to radically reduce costs and improve profits
Anglo American Platinum, Amplats, (AMS) is the world’s largest producer of platinum and is testing five different prototypes of fuel cell powered locomotives for eventual use at its mines in South Africa. The company is also working with Ballard Power Systems, Inc. (BLD) to produce 15 kW fuel-cell generated electric power units to 34 households over a 12 month period; the fuel cells will be powered by methanol and platinum metals as catalysts.
Fuel Cell Powered Equipment
At one of the company’s mines in Rustenburg, the first fuel-cell powered bulldozer is being trialed. The vehicle is zero-emission vehicle, a great advantage in underground mines where the air is generally less than ideal. In addition to air-quality improvements, acid lead batteries used to power vehicles and machines will no longer be necessary. The remaining four prototypes will be put into service and tested and if successful will be deployed with production of more bulldozers and other fuel-cell powered vehicles to come.
Fuel Cell Powered Electric Grids
The fuel cell powered electric grids, if successful, will be used in small villages of 200 to 300 homes in rural South Africa in 2015. While designed to provide 15 kW of electric power, these system can be extended with batteries to supply as much is 70 kW.
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- New Fuel Cell Technology Efficiently Converts Natural Gas To Energy, Runs Off Grid
- Toyota’s Charged Up about Its New Fuel Cell Vehicle Taking on the Tesla Model S
- Portable Hydrogen Fuel Cell Unit to Clean Up Port of Honolulu
- Charge Your Phone 5X Over with the World’s First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Charging Device
- North America Fuel Cell Market to Reach $667 Million by 2018
- More Than an Impulse: Solar Plane (Impulse 2) Uses Photons, Not Fuel, on Its Maiden Test Voyage
- Solar Impulse 2 Prepares for Around the World Trip on No Fuel
- Using Urine to Power a Cell Phone? Soon We’ll All Be Doing It
- Thorium-Fueled Automobile Engine Needs Refueling Once a Century
- Watch 300 Years of Fossil Fuels in 300 Seconds
References and related links:
- Anglo American Platinum Unveils Fuel Cell Locomotive for Mining Operations
- Fuel cell propulsion to replace diesel locomotives: ITJ | Transport Journal