If you are tired of hustle and bustle of city life and want to escape from the rat race, there is an offer for you. The 760-acre Tanera Mor, a self-sufficient island, could be yours!
Tanera Mor is the main island of the Summer Isles, an idyllic archipelago a mile and a half off the northwest coast of Scotland near Ullapool. You can buy it for £1.95million. If you can’t afford to buy the whole island, it is being offered in three lots, starting from £430,000.
The current owners have spent the last 15 years on the island and have planted over 164,000 trees to give protection to the land and shelter windswept paths. Here are some of its salient features:
- The island is 1.6 miles long and 1.2 miles wide and has spectacular views
- Tanera Mor features seven miles of rugged cliffs, sheltered coves, and beaches.
- There is an Old School House and nine cottages too, which have all been restored.
- The island’s private postal service was inaugurated on September 1, 1970, and the owners are allowed to issue private Summer Isles postage stamps.
- The Island is self-sufficient…generators and wind turbines are used to produce its own electricity.
- It also has its own freshwater supply and treatment system.
- There is even a BT telephone exchange, which receives signals by means of a radio link to the mainland. Each and every property on the island has a BT landline.
- Broadband is also available but on only some of its properties.