Having a conversation about anything on social media is like digging a tunnel to China. The task only gets darker and more difficult as time goes on until finally you give up. But what if there was an intelligent intermediary that helped groups with different backgrounds and opinions to forge new understandings of topics based on facts? Enter UNU, a new software that may just be able to help humans get over their petty biases and really learn something.
Building a “Hive Mind”
With the increasing amount of data available in the world and the slow speed of human consumption of information, it is only natural that smart artificial intelligence systems are needed to help humans glean actionable information. Huge strides have been made by IBM’s Watson and a new Silicon Valley startup company, Unanimous AI or UNU AI, is a new social network gaining attention for its swarm intelligence software that has made accurate predictions of the winners of the Kentucky Derby, the Oscars, the Super Bowl, and the Preakness Stakes.
The secret sauce of UNU’s swarm intelligence system is the participation of large numbers of people and groups who ask questions to UNU and provide answers that become part of its database. According to its website, “UNU allows groups to chat online in a fun new way – by forming a Swarm Intelligence that can answer questions, make predictions, reach decisions, and even crack jokes.”
UNU is now using its artificial intelligence to pick sports and political contests. For example, UNU has made predictions in the Clinton vs. Trump US presidential contest based on the participation of 85 Democratic, Republican, and Independent voters who answered the same questions about the candidates. Not surprisingly, the main finding by UNU was an extreme pessimism from the participants about both candidates. According to a Reddit AMA, UNU found that:
- Hillary Clinton will be the next president of the United States.
- She will not be indicted, but she is quite crooked.
- Bernie Sanders is the most suited for the presidency but has no chance of winning.
- Donald Trump is a racist and nothing like Ronald Reagan.
- Donald Trump will select Chris Christie as a running mate.
- California will legalize marijuana.
- Bernie Sanders would destroy Donald Trump in the general, as well as in a three-way race.
- The Libertarian Party will not break 15 percent.
- Gun control isn’t going to happen, and Clinton won’t do campaign finance reform.
- Hillary Clinton supports corporations over voters.
- 9/11 was not an inside job. (This is Reddit, after all.)
The following video is an interview with UNU CEO Louis Rosenberg about this new social platform.