Virtually Invisible Biostamp Now A Reality
A lot wearable electronics these days seem interesting, even life changing, but most still look and feel awkward and clunky.
What if a new industry could provide postage stamp size sensors or “biostamps” that could be worn by babies, the elderly, athletes and even animals, allowing real time monitoring and management of people’s health and vital signs so they visit a doctor only when and if needed?
The device would be stretchable and bendable and contain high-performance microelectronics and detect neurological disorders, hydration levels, heart rate, body temperature, and even organ and body part health.
In fact, the industry, conformal electronics, has arrived and it is being led by a company called MC10 whose most notable achievement is the creation of the Reebok Checklight skullcap that monitors athletes for signs of concussion.
Changing Our Relationships With Doctors
Wired magazine has called MC10, a Cambridge Massachusetts company, a “Wonka Factory of crazy electronic concepts” and the New York Times reported that MC10 products will allow us to “see inside ourselves as never before with wearable, even internal sensors that monitor our most intimate biological processes.”
MC10 has won a plethora of the words: World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer 2013; Wearable Technology Innovation World Cup Finalist 2013/14; MIT Technology Reviews 50 Disruptive Companies and Innovators Under 35 2013; and International CES Innovations Design and Engineering Awards Best of Innovations 2014.
The following video shows a swimmer diving into a swimming pool with several biostamps on her body and then, after finishing her workout, checking her iPad for information produced by the sensors during her swim.
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- ‘Lab on a Chip’ Provides Astronauts a Complete Health Checkup with a Single Drop of Blood
- NASA’s New Veggie Garden Takes Healthy Eating to New Heights
- Doing Nothing 10 Minutes a Day Can Boost Your Mental Health
- What’s the Main Challenge for a Healthy US Solar Modules Market?
- What’s the Biggest Environmental Health Risk That Could Kill Us All?
- Fascinating Insights from 200 Years of Global Health in 4 minutes – Video
- Thermal Energy Collection Lights Up the Night Through Solar Power
- Miniature Portable Dialysis Machine on Fast Track for FDA Approval
- What Gravity’s Effect on Space-Born Animals Means to Humans
- “Concrete” Evidence That World’s Most-Used Construction Material Can Be Made Greener
References and related links: