Saudi Arabia has announced to build an Eco-city, dubbed ‘The Line’. This is a major step towards the development of a futuristic NEOM business zone.
“The Line”, would extend over 170 km (105 miles) and this Eco-city will be free from cars, streets, and carbon emissions.
Saudi Arabia’s prince said, “Why should we sacrifice nature for the sake of development?” “We need to transform the concept of a conventional city into that of a futuristic one.”
Following are some of its features:
- The project is set to be built from scratch along the kingdom’s Red Sea coast.
- It will have facilities like schools, health centers, and green spaces.
- The construction of the city is expected to begin in the first quarter of this year.
- They have plans to house about million residents in “carbon-positive urban developments powered by 100% clean energy”.
- Because, the city will have a planned high-speed public transport system, no commute will take longer than 20 minutes.
- The project is expected to contribute 180 billion riyals ($48 billion) to the kingdom’s gross domestic product and create 380,000 jobs.
- Artificial Intelligence will play an important role in the city.
Prince added, “We need to transform the concept of a conventional city into that of a futuristic one.”