Solar Cells Boost Renewable Energy
Solar cells, solar panels,solar arrays and solar batteries have been under development for many years. And improving efficiency, verified by third parties, is what solar power manufacturers strive for.
Recently a company called Semprius, with production facilities in North Carolina, achieved 39.9% efficiency in converting light that hits solar panels into electricity; the results were achieved according to Concentrator Standard Test Conditions (CSTC). Most currently manufactured silicon panels average 15% to 20% efficiency.
Semprius broke the old record of 32% efficiency for high concentration photovoltaic (HCPV) solar panels. Semprius’ panels use gallium arsenide, rather than silicon, for turning sunlight into electricity, producing 30% to 40% more energy than current technology.
While Semprius creates semi conductor materials in a conventional manner it combines materials and manufacturing techniques in novel ways resulting in pencil point sized GaAs single junction microcells grown in multilayer epitaxial assemblies.
Scalable, Salable & Super Efficient
According to Semprius, it’s technology will allow solar panels to produce electricity at about five cents per kilowatt hour. At this cost mainstream power plants will find this technology attractive allowing solar energy to achieve “grid parity”.
Semprius has estimated that a 1 MW solar power plant could be built for about $1.5 million and serve 300 to 500 homes. The company is currently building approximately 6 MW of electricity producing solar panels per year and is gearing up to increase this amount to 200 MW per year.
Related Links on IndustryTap
- Scientists Develop Self-Cooling Solar Panels That Produce More Power
- These Lung-Inspired Solar Panels Clean Themselves
- Next Gen Wood Fiber Solar Panels for the Cost of Paper
- California Installed More Rooftop Solar Panels in 2013 Than in Previous 30 Years Combined
- IKEA Launches a Line of Solar Panels
- Could These Solar Cells Replace Heavy Solar Panels?
- Oceans are the World’s Largest Solar Panels
- New Flexible Glass Will Significantly Reduce The Cost Of Solar Panels
- Solar Panels Could Destroy US Utilities According to US Utilities
- Keeping Desert Solar Panels Clean with Toilet Rolls and Lego
References and related links: