NASA recently unveiled new prototypes for US astronauts next touch down on the Moon. Unlike those of Apollo–era, astronauts set for the Artemis mission will put on suits that will allow them to walk almost as they do on Earth.
New Space suit known as the Exploration Extravehicular Mobility Unit or xEMU, is being redesigned with new technology to accomplish more complex tasks.
- New space suits will allow better mobility and improved communications.
- Wearing this astronaut will be able to lift their arms and objects over their head and it is also flexibile at the hips and knees.
- For offering astronauts most comfort and broadest range of motion, NASA is going to take full-body, 3D scans of each astronaut.
- According to NASA, a spacesuit is “a personalized spaceship that mimics all of the protections from the harsh environment of space and the basic resources that Earth and its atmosphere provide.”
- The pants and boots are being designed to accommodate mobility in partial gravity.
- In Helmet there will be a clear protective visor for protecting the pressurized bubble from any wear and tear.