The gaming industry has become so large and powerful that the launch of a new video game is sometimes accompanied by the production of a real life “concept car”, in this case, the Citrogen GT. The car was developed by world leading racing simulator developer Polyphony Digital and the game published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation 3 video game console.
The Citrogen GT debuted in 2008 at the Paris Auto Show. The auto appeared in a game called Gran Tourismo 5. The real life replica (see video) of the virtual game car, part of a Polyphony driving simulator, appeared around the world at promotional events for several years to promote the game.
According to Citrogen CEO Vincent Besson, the GT concept car was to have a production run of 15 vehicles priced at $1.8 million each. Later these numbers were revised to 6 cars costing $2.1 million each. No doubt Besson was encouraged by the reception of the GT concept car at the Paris Auto Show..
At least one prototype was made with a top speed of over 250 mph, a 789 hp engine, two seats, a 7-speed “circle” sequential gearbox and four-wheel-drive.
As late as 2010, rumors emerged that production of the limited-edition GT’s had been suspended.
So, in the end, this concept car was a flash in the pan, and did its job in promoting the video game.
The following video shows the life size car in action.
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- Trident Iceni, World’s Fastest & Most Fuel Efficient Diesel Sports Car
- British Automaker Debuts the World’s Lightest Sports Car
- FSO Syrena Sports Car Ressurected
- Build Your Own Sportscar for Just $30,000
- World’s Best Gran Turismo Video Game Player Now a Professional Race Car Driver
- Zero Emission “Salt Water” Powered “e-SportsLimousine” Wins EU Certification
- ‘Salt Water’ Powered Supercar Faster Than a McLaren P1, Given Approval For European Roads
- AeroMobil’s Flying Car Prototype Completes Its Maiden Flight
- The Low Carbon Footprint, Convenience and Huge Savings Known as Zipcar
- Nissan Makes Dream Version of Gran Turismo 6 Car a Reality
References and related links:
- GT by Citroen Diecast Model | Legacy Motors
- Citroen GT
- Citroen Gt Concept Specs – Citroen GT Concept Net Worth