Recently, a French defense and security vehicle firm, Arquus, unveiled its latest concept vehicle that has been designed for the French Army. The vehicle has been named Scarabée.
This Volvo-owned company has revealed Scarabée at the Paris Air Show earlier this month. Their goal was to develop fast, stealthy, and highly maneuverable military vehicle.
Here are some incredible features of Scarabée:
- Scarabée, has two engines (one electric, one diesel), both housed in the rear of the vehicle. The diesel engine has a range of 620 miles while the electric motor has a range of fewer than 10 miles.
- It can Sidestep Obstacles like a Crab.
- It can carry over two tons of equipment, including weapons.
- Having height of six feet and a width of fifteen feet, Scarabée can house four, including the driver.
- Top speed of this vehicle is 75mph and it can generate 60 hp for every ton of weight.
- The vehicle can also survive a short drop, as it is transportable and droppable from a low height, sans parachute, by plane.
- Sliding doors of Scarabée , allows a person to easily get out or get in of the vehicle in confined areas.
- Doors cannot be opened without a remote… providing a security layer for the occupants.
- Being light in weight, it can move very fast.
- Body of Scarabée is crafted using composite materials, making it more resistant to gunfire, landmines, and improvised explosive devices.
Emmanuel Lavacher, CEO of Arquus, said, “We really worked on the speed because that is also a form of protection. If you put a lot of protective armor on a vehicle, it makes it very heavy, big, and therefore slow unless you give it a large, powerful engine—in which case you no longer have a small, agile military vehicle.”