One of the world’s largest sailing superyachts, ‘Sailing Yacht A,’ is owned by Russian billionaire Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko. It was recently taken for a test run off the coast of Germany.
This new superyacht is a combination of the latest materials and technology. It is powered by a hybrid diesel-electric package with controllable pitch propellers rather than dirty diesel engines as the primary means of propulsion.
Here are some of its incredible features:
- This amazing yacht has three record-breaking 300ft masts which are taller than the Statue of Liberty or Big Ben’s tower.
- The yacht was designed by Frenchman Philippe Starck and was built by German Naval Yards, Nobiskrug.
- The yacht’s hull is made of steel and has been painted gray.
- It is expected to be complete by her estimated 2017 delivery date.
- It is about 468ft long and is rumored to cost about $450 million (£313million).
- This masterpiece is designed to accommodate 20 guests and a crew of 54 to look after those on board.
- The yacht will have an estimated top speed of 21 knots (39 km/h)
- The yacht has eight floors. There is a helicopter landing pad on the sixth floor.
- For providing the stunning views of the sea, there is a glass hull, which has been tested for its strength to withstand water pressure.
‘Sailing Yacht A’ should prove to be a head turner!
The magazine wrote: “Andrey Melnichenko is a man with exceptional vision. Where other yacht owners like to blend into the background, he wants his superyachts to push the boundaries of design, creativity, and technology as well as make a statement.”