Rolls Royce, considered the worldwide benchmark for luxury and performance since 1925, has served royalty, heads of state and the super rich; the company was purchased a decade ago by BMW.
Rolls Royce is now in the process of designing its next generation Phantom, an upgrade to its ultra-luxury sedan. The next generation Phantom will be launched in 2017 as a 2018 model. Prototypes of the future vehicle have already been built and photos of it being tested have appeared on the Internet.
The Long History: Rolls Royce Phantom
The Phantom has a long and illustrious history including nine models..
- Rolls-Royce Phantom I, 1925–1931
- Rolls-Royce Phantom II, 1929–1936
- Rolls-Royce Phantom III, 1936–1939
- Rolls-Royce Phantom IV, 1950–1959
- Rolls-Royce Phantom V, 1959–1968
- Rolls-Royce Phantom VI, 1968–1991
- Rolls-Royce Phantom (2003), 2003–present
- Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé, 2007–present
- Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupé, 2008–present
New Technology Expected
The design team, led by chief designer Giles Taylor, has not given away any details but rumors are that the new architecture will use a carbon fiber shell and an aluminum chassis to reduce costs and improve performance. There is also expected to be a hybrid or perhaps an all-electric version.
Current expectations are that the new automobile will cost about $475,000, acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds and a top speed of 155 mph.
The following video is a look at the 2013 Rolls Royce Phantom II Drophead Coupe:
Related IndustryTap articles:
- $2.3 Million Bugatti GSV is the Fastest Production Car in the World
- The Low Carbon Footprint, Convenience and Huge Savings Known as Zipcar
- Australian High-Speed Rail to Cost $118 billion, Will Take Decades to Complete
- Bentley Motors Gets ISO 50001 After Investing $1.6 Billion, UK’s First Motor Company
References and related links for this article:
- Rolls-Royce Phantom News, Photos and Reviews – Autoblog
- 2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom Spy Shots
- New and Used Rolls-Royce Phantom: Prices, Photos, Reviews, Specs – The Car Connection