Porsche Built Four Electric Cars in 1898… And One Was Just Discovered Untouched

By: | February 4th, 2014

The first car Mr. Ferdinand Porsche ever designed was the “Egger-Lohner electric vehicle, C.2 Phaeton model,” also known as P1.

The “Porsche Number One” (P1) consisted of a 287 pound mill and three horsepower. It wasn’t exactly a speed demon but you better believe this electric wagon with a steering wheel was a beast in 1898.

Features

  • Motor out the back with driving rear wheels
  • An “overloading” mode capable of producing another two horsepower
  • 2,977-pound vehicle with 5 horsepower could reach speeds upward of 22 mph

The P1 hit the streets of Vienna on June 26, 1898, and although only four were ever built, one was recently discovered in a warehouse in Austria where it had been sitting untouched for over 100 years, since 1902.

Luckily for car enthusiasts, the recently discovered P1 will be the latest edition to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart.

Technology, engineering, and design enthusiast.

Google+ 

More articles from Industry Tap...