NASA has revealed a Mars rover concept that looks like the Batmobile. The concept vehicle is designed to inspire interest in the Red Planet.
Although the rover will never travel to the Red Planet, it was created to educate the public on NASA’s Mars exploration efforts. It is designed to accommodate four astronauts and has its own detachable laboratory. The vehicle will be displayed at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for promoting the complex’s “Summer of Mars” program.
Here are some of its salient features:
- The rover is battery powered, with power supplied by solar panels.
- It can achieve a max speed of 96 to 112 kmh (60 to 70 mph).The vehicle is 28 feet (8.5m) long, 13 feet (4m) wide, and 11 feet (3.4m) tall
- The estimated weight of the vehicle is 5,000 pounds (2,250kg)
- The rear area is a detachable lab while the front area is a cockpit for scouting
- The Rover is made entirely of carbon fiber and aluminum
- It has six wheels that measure 50 inches (1.3m) tall and 30 inches (75cm) wide