Do You Know Which Seat is the Safest on an Airplane?

By: | December 28th, 2016

Image courtesy Wikipedia

It is a general perception that seats on the wings of an aircraft are the safest because the plane is “strongest” there. However, statistics show that in the case of a plane crash, the rear of an aircraft is the safest bet.

Flying in Economy Class is Actually Safer than Flying in First Class

Although all airplane crashes are different, per an analysis performed by Popular Mechanics in 2007, passengers in the rear of an aircraft were safer than passengers near the front.

Considering the data of fatal airplane crashes since 1971, people sitting behind the wing had a 40 percent greater chance of surviving than passengers in the front of the plane. Moreover, the middle seats in the rear part of the plane were the safest, having a fatality rate of 28%, compared with 32% for a window or aisle seat.

But you need not worry before flying, as statistics and figures prove that airline transportation is the safest way to travel in comparison to other means of transportation. The odds of dying in a car are 1 in 112 while on a motorbike, the odds of dying are 1 in 900. However, while flying the odds of dying are just 1 in 8,000.

Nidhi Goyal

Nidhi is a gold medalist Post Graduate in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. You can also find Nidhi on Google+.

Google+ 

More articles from Industry Tap...