Sometimes Innovations come fast and furious, sometimes they don’t; battery innovation is red hot these days.
The phrase “botta bing botta boom” according to the urban dictionary, is an expression meaning that things people are planning occur in a “snap”. If this describes any company, it describes the rapid ascension of Sakti3, led by CEO Ann Marie Sastry, as a player in the automobile lithium-ion market.
Sakti3 was spun out of the University of Michigan in 2007 and has since received a considerable number of awards and financing rounds leading up to its first “scale up” pilot production project in 2013.
In 2014, thus far, Sakti3 received the IHS CERAWeek Energy Innovation Pioneer Award from MIT’s Technology Review Magazine. Sakti3, located in Ann Arbor, devised a new vacuum deposition process, similar to the process used to make flat-panel displays and photovoltaic solar cells, replacing the current lamination process used by most battery makers.
According to Dr. Sastry, the a new process may ead to the first 300-mile, $25,000 electric car. Sakti3 is now working with General Motors to develop a lithium-ion battery manufacturing process. The company has raised $15 million in capital with a $15 million matching grant from the US Department of Energy.
Sakti3’s technology has been independently tested and confirmed. The road from a small prototype to manufacturing for the automobile industry is a huge jump with many roadblocks along the way, but the groundswell of support behind the technology is huge and this story will be worth watching.
The following is a TED Talk by Sakti3 CEO Dr. Ann Marie Sastry:
Related articles on IndustryTap:
- Team Works on Lithium-Ion Battery That Won’t Blow Up Your Stuff
- Tesla Announces Expansion of “Adrenaline Like” Battery Supercharger Network, A Game Changer For The Industry (Video)
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner Problematic Battery System Raises More Questions
- Solar Cell + Recharageable Battery = World’s First Solar Battery
- Tesla Motors To Receive $1.3 Billion In Tax Incentives For Nevada Gigafactory
- 3 Quick Tips for Forklift Accident Prevention in the Industrial Workplace
- Patriotic Receipt Printer Spits Out the U.S. Constitution in 6 Seconds
- 5 Tips to Increase Forklift Battery Life Up to 40%
- Researchers Charged Up about Self-Healing Battery
- China’s Grid-Scale Energy Storage Investments Reach $500 Million Per Year
References and related links:
- PORTFOLIO COMPANY NEWS: University of Michigan Spin-Out Sakti3 Delivers Double the Energy Density of Current Lithium Ion Battery Technology, Cells Produced in Ann Arbor Lab | Michigan Venture Capital Association
- Can We Build Tomorrow’s Breakthroughs? | MIT Technology Review
- University of Michigan Spin-Out, Sakti3, Doubles Energy Density of Lithium Ion Batteries | Industry content from Power Electronics